While shopping at Bed Bath and Beyond I overheard a soon-to-be-bride being assisted with her bridal registry. The shop clerk asked, “Would you like to register for any table linens?” The reply was a blunt, “No.” A little part of me died inside. I could never pass up such an opportunity. Decorating the table is one of my absolute favorite things to do.
Last month, I had the opportunity to go all out when we had friends join us for dinner shortly after the new year. The time of year made me feel as though the decor should be shiny and gold. Mind you, just because we’re going glitzy and using the good china, that doesn’t mean the table has to look stuffy. Here’s how to do it.
- Repurpose items. Here, I used a crystal wine bucket as a centerpiece and filled it with gold beaded Christmas garland. A mirror is underneath the bucket to create an additional layer of interest.
- Add photo props to encourage picture taking.
- Use fun candles. Tapers with some sparkle or stripes add impact. I find the best time to find a great deal on candles is during the after Christmas sales.
- Light more candles than you think you should. I always incorporate a mix of votive candles, even when using tapers. That way we can dim the lights and create a relaxed ambience.
- Mix up your china patterns to create playful place settings.
Since this type of table decor doesn’t call for any fresh flowers, you can set it up well in advance of your party. Doing so means you’ll be able to be as relaxed as your guests when they arrive. If you have fun with it, chances are your guests will, too!