We recently did a great food and wine pairing experiment with Thai food. While I had the best intentions of preparing some homemade dishes with recipes from our friend Naomi of NuCulinary, my plan derailed. Not to worry, my local Thai carryout restaurant saved the day.
On the Menu
- Phad Thai
- Swimming Rama Chicken
- Cashew Chicken
- Red Curry Shrimp
- Green Curry Eggplant and Green Curry Mussels (these were homemade by Bean)
All of these dishes were prepared with medium spiciness.
The Wine List
The varieties of wine we tasted with the food included Chenin Blanc (one from France and another from Washington state), Gewürztraminer, Viognier, and Torrontes. There were also a couple of white blends and a rosé. Here are the wines that our group of 5 tasters felt paired best with the food.
- Chateau Ste. Michelle 2008 Gewürztraminer
- Coyote Canyon 2008 Viognier
- Domaine Pichot 2007 Vouvray
- Northwest Totem Cellars 2008 Salish (a Riesling/Viognier blend)
- Del Rio Vineyards 2008 Rose Jolee (produced with 80% Early Muscat, 10% Merlot, 10% Malbec)